Sunday, January 12, 2014

Salutations

Good morning.  My name is Kyle Apperson.  Those that know me call me Coach App.  Had I really been intelligent I would have copyrighted my name, I have been called App since first grade and I do believe that is what they called  my dad.  My son somehow also got the name, though while at Rider the football coaches called him Lil App to me.  Anyway, enough history.  I teach at Rider and am going to start a blog to help my parents, not my kids.  My class is World History.  I do not teach the regular way.  I use technology.  I use apps.  When a student of mine has an issue I do my best to accomodate them.  For the child with dyslexia, my class is perfect. No better class than mine for the kid on ADHD medications. I can go on and on but why is it perfect?  Technology.  But many of my students DON'T take advantage of it.  Why? Well in my opinion it's because the parents themselves don't know about all that is available.  My goal is to help those parents that truly care about their child's education help their kids out at home. Once a parent learns about all the teaching apps that are available they can easily set up quizzes, tests, assignments that will help their kids study at home and learn.  Now obviously this is not for everyone, and yes I do have a class set of books in  my room for those that don't have the internet.  But for those that want to help their kid learn they way their kid actually is doing things these days, and had better be doing in order to be successful in today's business, well then hopefully you jump on board and help them out.  From what I have witnessed over the years, it is not usually the teacher, class size, building, or anything else that makes a kid successful in school, it is the fact they have someone at home who monitors their work. Now this is just my observation after eight years of teaching, and just my opinion, nothing else.

My future posts will be about things I personally use.  There is obviously going to be a myriad of things that I don't use that you might have a question about.  Feel free to ask and if I don't know I probably can find out pretty quickly and I will try and respond.  I am also available to come actually tutor parents.  All you would need is an email, a computer/laptop, phone, and I will come set your stuff up for you and walk you through what to do.  Then after that you just play around with stuff.  You won't hurt anything playing around with educations apps.  Rarely do they ask for a credit card or stuff like that, they just need an email to sign you up.

 Now on a side note, please don't hammer my writing skills.  They are lacking and I know this, but I teach history, not English.

No comments:

Post a Comment